Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth with Healthy Treats
Something about summertime brings out the sweet tooth in all of us. From ice cream to snow cones, there’s certainly no shortage of tempting treats to choose from.
Unfortunately, many of our favorites aren't very tooth-friendly. For snacks that will satisfy your sweet craving and keep your dentist happy, try a few of these options.
- Cherries: With properties that help promote heart health while reducing cancer risk, cherries are a fantastic fruit to munch on in the summertime. Just watch out for the pits!
- Strawberries: Strawberries are a great source of vitamin C – and they’re readily available in the spring and summer. These tasty berries also contain malic acid, a natural astringent that helps remove enamel stains and discoloration. You can even turn a bowl of sliced strawberries into dessert by adding some sugar-free whipped topping.
- Watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew: Most melons contain a lot of water, which is good for hydration – and your teeth. Fruits and veggies with high water content help wash away food particles and bacteria from your teeth, which can help neutralize harmful acids in the mouth and prevent cavities.
- Sweet potatoes: Packed with vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, folic acid and potassium, sweet potatoes are delicious and nutritious. If you’re feeling adventurous, spice it up by adding a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Spices: Cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg are all great additions to your cooking and baking, adding flavor and sweetness without adding sugar or calories.