Relax – Grinding Your Teeth is Bad for You
Feeling stressed? You may be grinding your teeth or clenching your jaws at night. Teeth grinding –also called bruxism –is one way our bodies react to stress and anxiety. You also may grind your teeth due to sleep disorders, an abnormal bite or teeth that are missing or crooked. Symptoms include:
- Teeth grinding or clenching that could be loud enough to awaken your partner.
- Teeth that are worn down, flattened, fractured or chipped.
- Worn tooth enamel, exposing deeper layers of your tooth.
- Increased tooth sensitivity.
- Dull headaches.
- Jaw soreness or tooth pain.
- Neck and earaches.
- Change your outlook. Try to see other life events as positive challenges rather than stressors.
- Eat a nutritious, well-balanced diet and get enough sleep.
- Exercise regularly.
- Practice relaxation techniques, such as meditation, yoga, stretching and deep breathing.