National Anti-Boredom Month – Stay Active in Arkansas
Did you know -- its National Anti-Boredom Month? So don’t sit around. Get moving! A fit lifestyle not only helps you stay at a healthy weight, it’s good for your teeth too. Sweets and fatty foods can lead to weight gain, heart disease, diabetes and other illnesses. They also can cause tooth decay and gum disease. So take your first step in getting healthy and hop off that couch! Here are five fun Arkansas attractions to keep you active:
1. Wild River Country – Arkansas’s largest water park! Get your swim on at this 26-acre North Little Rock water park. Eight water slides, a wave pool, river rapids and a lazy river make this water park a winner any day of the week. There’s also a volleyball court and picnic areas for family events!
2. Arkansas Lakes & Rivers: Arkansas is called the “natural state” for good reason – it’s home to 600,000 acres of lakes and more than 9,700 miles of streams, according to the Arkansas Tourism Board. It’s no wonder Arkansas is considered a haven for boaters of all kinds – from kayakers to water skiers – and a prime place to camp, swim and fish.
3. Wild Caving: Love to hike? Check out the Arkansas Mountains near the Buffalo National River, home to the Lost Valley Trail Cave that has a 35-foot waterfall. Arkansas’ caves are “living,” meaning the formations change when minerals are deposited by dripping water. There are more than 2,000 caves to explore in Arkansas. Learn more about cave spelunking.
4. Civil War Sites: Take a trip back in time and explore the many Civil War sites. Arkansas had more than 770 military battles between 1861-1865, in nearly every community across the state. Go here for a list of Civil War battlefields at Arkansas state parks.
5. Hot Springs National Park: Take time to go see the natural hot springs in the Ouachita Mountains, dubbed “The American Spa.” You can hike, take scenic drives and camp in this national preserve – one of the state’s top weekend getaway destinations. Who knew our beautiful state has so much to offer if you just take that step outside!