5 Activities that Don't Feel Like Workouts... But Are!
Obesity is quickly becoming an issue with the population, not just in Arkansas, but all over the country. We are expanding sideways at an alarmingly fast pace and the effects our extra weight has on the rest of our health can be devastating.
Obesity is linked to several general health problems including heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer and diabetes. Now for the surprising part; your oral health also suffers as a result of obesity. Not only is there a link between periodontal (gum) disease and obesity, obesity is actually a risk factor for periodontal diseases. This means that gum disease can be a direct result of being obese1. Conversely, if you have periodontal disease you are risk for increased body weight.
It’s time, Arkansas, to take action against obesity! The problem is, if you are like me, exercising just doesn’t seem to always make the to-do list. The good news; it’s summer time which means there are many warm weather activities that will burn calories but won’t feel like exercising at all!
Here are 5 ways to have fun and shed a few pounds along the way.
1) Head to one of the many Arkansas lakes and paddle around. You will be amazed at how many calories swimming will burn.
2) Visit the zoo. Walking around the zoo is as good as walking around a track!
3) Go camping. Setting up the tent and building a fire will all burn calories that sitting at home watching TV can’t.
4) Go shopping. It will be exercise and retail therapy all in one day.
5) Plant a garden. Besides burning a ton of calories, using your home-grown veggies for dinner is much healthier than that drive-thru food you normally eat.This
summer, find activities that you enjoy that will melt away your chances for obesity at the same time. Your whole body (including your mouth) will be
thankful! 1. Karels, Ashley, and Brigette Cooper. "Obesity and Its Role in Oral Health." 5.1 (2007). The Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice. Web.